Right after you install your first wordpress blog, you start searching for additional functionality which is offered by plugins. This plugins featu
re makes wordpress almost perform any function you required loaded with tons of customization.
I will be talking about the basic wordpress plugins which should be part of a wordpress blog at minimum making it capable of all the functions like SEO, Spam blocking and some other important features to your blog.
- Akismet :- Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not and lets you review the spam it catches under your blog’s “Comments” admin screen. You need a wordpress API key which you can easily get by creating a account with wordpress.com. This is the best spam blocking plugin available for wordpress and you should install it.
- WP Super Cache :- This is one of the best and must have plugin if you are hosting your blog on a paid host or free host. It helps reduce your server load which is most important for having your resources within shared hosting limit. This plugin generates static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier and more expensive WordPress PHP scripts.
- Google XML Sitemaps Generator – creates a sitemap of all articles on your WordPress blog. Helps Google and other search engines index every article you write. This is must if you want your blog to be indexed fast with google and other search engines.
- Platinum SEO Pack : – This is the plugin which all the SEO stuff for your blog with just few clicks. In my opinion it performs better compared to All in one SEO plugin . You should install either one of them to make your blog Search engine friendly and get good organic traffic.
- WP-PageNavi – Adds a more advanced page navigation to WordPress, like page 1, 2,3 etc which is very useful for navigation on blog pages.
- WordPress.com Stats – Tracks views, post/page views, referrers, and clicks. Though it requires a WordPress.com API key as askimet do but its too good tool for tracking all the stats related to your blog.
- WordPress Related Posts :- WordPress Related Posts Plugin will generate a related posts via WordPress tags, and add the related posts to feed.
I have talked only about the most useful and must have plugins only. But there are loads of plugins available which help add different functionality to your blog. I will talk about those later on.